I LIKE THIS RECIPE BECAUSE ... cooking 24 hours ahead will draw out the thyme and red wine flavours making it a culinary treat.
1 teaspoon olive oil
600 g sirloin steak cubed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic granules
2 tablespoons dried thyme
1 onion peeled and sliced
2 leeks washed and sliced
3 celery sticks washed and sliced
3 carrots washed peeled and chopped
1 red pepper washed deseeded and chopped.
2 x 400g chopped tomatoes.
1 litre vegetable stock.
200 ml red wine.
75g pearl barley.
500g white potatoes peeled and sliced into small chunks .
Quarter teaspoon salted water (for the potatoes).
Black pepper seasoning.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C. Dry fry the steak in a casserole until brown; remove the beef placing on a plate and cover over in foil.
2. Drizzle olive oil into the casserole; season with the salt, pepper, garlic granules and thyme. Sauté for 5 minutes.
3. Add the sliced onion, leeks, celery, carrot and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes.
4. Pour into the casserole the 2 cans of tomatoes and vegetable stock. Don't throw the empty cans away! Swill the bottom of each with the red wine to grab the remaining tantalising flavours, fab, and add to the casserole; stir.
5. Return the beef to the casserole; bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Place in the oven for 90 minutes.
6. After 1 hour, cook the pearl barley in a small saucepan as per the packaging instructions. Drain; remove the casserole from the oven; add the pearl barley and place back in the oven. Drop the temperature to 140 degrees C. Cook for a further hour.
7. Boil the potatoes in a pan of two-thirds of slightly salted water. Drain; place on-top of the hot-pot. Season with black pepper and cook in the oven for 20-30 minutes. Serve boiling hot on warmed plates.
Do you feel life-coaching could be useful for you to seek direction? All consultations are online via Skype, Zoom or FaceTime. Life-coaching can help with a variety of problems or to help you get set on a challenge. Contact me on email@example.com or on 07544 899 681.