I LIKE THIS RECIPE BECAUSE ... cooking 24 hours ahead will draw out the thyme and red wine flavours making it a culinary treat.
1 teaspoon olive oil
600 g sirloin steak cubed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic granules
2 tablespoons dried thyme
1 onion peeled and sliced
2 leeks washed and sliced
3 celery sticks washed and sliced
3 carrots washed peeled and chopped
1 red pepper washed deseeded and chopped.
2 x 400g chopped tomatoes.
1 litre vegetable stock.
200 ml red wine.
75g pearl barley.
500g white potatoes peeled and sliced into small chunks .
Quarter teaspoon salted water (for the potatoes).
Black pepper seasoning.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C. Dry fry the steak until brown; remove placing on a plate and covering over in foil.
2. Drizzle the olive oil in a casserole, add the salt, pepper, garlic granules and thyme. Fry for 5 minutes.
3. Add the sliced onion, leeks, celery, carrot and pepper. Fry for 5 minutes.
4. Pour the 2 cans of tomatoes, vegetable stock and red wine and stir.
5. Return the beef to the casserole; bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Place in the oven for 90 minutes.
6. After 1 hour, cook the pearl barley in a small saucepan as per the packaging instructions. Drain; remove the casserole from the oven; add the pearl barley and place back in the oven. Drop the temperature to 150 degrees C. Cook for a further 2 hours. Remove, placing overnight in the fridge ensuring the casserole is completely covered.
7. Fifty minutes before you want to serve the Hot Pot, remove the casserole from the fridge, boil the potatoes in a pan of two-thirds of slightly salted water. Drain; place on-top of the hot-pot. Season with black pepper and reheat in the oven for 20-30 minutes. Serve boiling hot on warmed plates.
Do you feel life-coaching could be useful for you to seek direction? All consultations are online via Skype, Zoom or FaceTime. Life-coaching can help with a variety of problems or to help you get set on a challenge. Contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org or on 07544 899 681.