For The Casserole
1 kg stewing steak cubed.
1 tablespoon olive oil.
3 rashers of bacon cubed.
1 onion peeled and cubed.
1 teaspoon garlic granules.
2 celery sticks chopped.
1 tablespoon flour.
1 tablespoon dried nutmeg.
Half a teaspoon granulated sugar.
250 ml beef stock.
1 tablespoon tomato puree.
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce.
Quarter teaspoon salt.
1 teaspoon black pepper.
250 ml beer.
For The Mashed Potato
700g (1lb 9oz) Desiree Potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks.
Pinch of salt.
150 ml milk.
Black pepper seasoning.
For The Minted Peas
1 small tin of peas.
1 teaspoon sugar.
4 tablespoons mint.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 150 degrees celcius.
2. In a large casserole dry-fry the steak on a high temperature for several minutes.
3. Remove the steak, placing on a plate, and drain off any fat from the casserole.
4. Lower the heat, drizzle olive oil into the casserole and warm for 2-3 minutes. Add the cubed bacon and onion frying for 5 minutes until the onion has softened.
5. Add the garlic granules and stir ensuring they mix with the juices from the onion.
6. Add the chopped celery, and continue to let the casserole simmer for a further 5 minutes.
7. Place the cooked beef back in the casserole then add the flour along with the nutmeg, stirring into the juices for several minutes.
8. Add the stock,sugar, tomato puree, Worcestershire Sauce, Rock Salt and black pepper to the casserole. Stir, boil, drop the temperature, add the bouquet garni, then simmer for 20 minutes.
9. Place the casserole in the oven for 90 minutes.
10. After 90 minutes, remove the casserole, add the beer, and cook in the oven for a further 50 minutes.
11. Empty the tin of peas into a small saucepan and cover cold water over. Add a pinch of sugar and bring to the boil.
12. Once the water is boiling, add the mint and lower the temperature.
13. Fill a further saucepan with water, add salt, place the chopped potatoes in and bring to the boil.
14. Once the water is boiling, simmer for 20 minutes.
15. In a seperate saucepan, boil the milk.
16. Drain all the water from the potatoes, pour over the hot milk and mash. Season with black pepper.
17. Serve the casserole (don't forget to remove the bouqet garni) with the mash potato. Drain the peas to complete the meal.