500 g (17 oz) russet potatoes washed, peeled and diced.
1 large aubergine chopped into quarters.
1 red onion washed peeled and cubed.
2 courgettes, washed and sliced.
800g (28 oz) of vine ripened tomatoes.
1 teaspoon black pepper.
1/4 teaspoon salt.
1 tablespoon Italian herbs.
1 tablespoon garlic granules.
1 teaspoon brown sugar.
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar drizzled over the vegetables.
2 tablespoons olive oil.
750 ml vegetable stock.
5 tablespoons tomato puree.
400g can berlotti beans.
4 tablespoons single cream (1 per bowl).
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees C.
2. Using a baking tray, I use a disposable foil one for this recipe, scatter the potatoes, aubergine, red onion, courgettes, tomatoes and season with the pepper, salt, italian herbs, garlic granules and brown sugar. Drizzle the balsamic vinegar and olive oil over the vegetables; cover the tray with foil and cook for 1 hour.
3. After 30 minutes, bring the vegetable stock to the boil; add the tomato puree and stir.
4. Transfer the roasted vegetables to the soup pan; simmer on a low temperature for 30 minutes. Using a hand blender, puree the soup until smooth.
5. Drain the can of berlotti beans, add to the soup, cook for a further 15 minutes. Then, ladle the broth into warmed bowls and serve with 1 tablespoon cream per bowl for decoration.