3 vegetable stock cubes dissolved in 1.5 litres of water.
1 teaspoon black pepper.
1/4 teaspoon salt.
1 teaspoon dried herbs.
1 teaspoon garlic granules.
1 large sweet potato washed peeled and cubed.
1 teaspoon olive oil.
1 red onion peeled and cubed.
56g (2 oz) pearl barley.
Juice from 1 lemon.
1. Fill a medium-sized soup pan with 1.5 litres of water, stir in the stock cubes, black pepper, salt, dried herbs, garlic granules and bring to the boil. Once boiling, add the cubed sweet potato chunks, then reduce the heat and cook for 15 minutes.
2. Drizzle the olive oil in a skillet and warm for 2-3 minutes on a low heat.
3. Fry the onion for 2-3 minutes and once soft carefully transfer to the soup pan without the excess oil.
4. Add the pearl barley and cook for 30 minutes on a low heat.
5. Using a hand blender, puree the soup until smooth and then pour in the tin of coconut milk.
4. Simmer the soup for a further 15 minutes, then stir in the lemon juice and serve in warmed bowls.