For the Potato Dauphinoise
250 ml semi-skimmed milk
50 ml double cream
4 teaspoons nutmeg
Grated cheddar cheese
5 Desiree potatoes, peeled, washed and sliced into 3.5 mm slices
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic granules
2 tablespoons butter (for the lining of the gratin dish)
For the tray bake
4 tablespoons butter (1 tablespoon per person)
4 chicken breasts without skin
4 teaspoon dried sage (1 teaspoon per person)
12 chopped carrots (if you are in a rush you can use a can of 400g carrots)
12 chopped green beans (if you are in a rush you can use a 400g can of green beans)
4 tablespoons black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons garlic granules
4 tablespoons olive oil (for gravy)
1 onion peeled, washed and diced.
1.5 tablespoons butter.
1.5 tablespoons flour.
1 teaspoon black pepper.
1/4 teaspoon salt.
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar.
100 ml chicken stock.
100 ml red wine.
For the bread sauce
1/2 onion: peeled, washed and diced
1 teaspoon garlic
3 bay leaves
400 ml semi-skimmed milk.
2 tablespoons butter.
100g breadcrumbs - stale bread is perfect here or buy from supermarket.
For the Pigs In Blankets
8 rashers streaky bacon
1. Pre-heat the oven to 170 degrees C. Pour the milk and cream into a saucepan; season with the nutmeg and bring to the boil. Once boiling add the cheese, stirring to ensure there are no lumps and the cheese melts into the sauce.
2. Peel the potatoes, and dice, placing into a medium sized bowl. Drizzle over olive oil and season with pepper, salt and garlic granules.
3. Using a piece of kitchen towel, rub butter round the sides of the gratin dish to line it; transfer the potatoes systematically to the dish doing a layer at a time. Between each row, pour the milk/cream/cheese/nutmeg sauce. Make sure the sauce peaks just under the top of the dish. Season with more black pepper and place in the oven for 1 hour 15 minutes.
4. After 25 minutes, place each chicken breast into a medium sized bowl, rub butter into each chicken breast and then scatter over the dried sage. Place on a baking tray: I use a foil disposable tray for this recipe.
5. Add the chopped carrots and green beans; with black pepper, salt, garlic granules and drizzle with olive oil. Place in the oven for 45 minutes.
6. Take the rashers bacon, cut each in half. Wrap around each of the chipolatas to create a minature parcel. Place on a baking tray, again, I use a foil tray for this. Place in the oven. Cook for 30 minutes.
7. Drizzle olive oil into a small saucepan and warm for 2-3 minutes on a low heat. Add the onion in a saucepan and saute for 5 minutes. Then, add the butter, flour, pepper and salt.
8. Stir in the balsamic vinegar; chicken stock and red wine. Bring to the boil then simmer on a low heat for 10-15 minutes.
9. Remove the tray from the oven, pour over the gravy and return to the oven for a further 30 minutes.
10. Drizzle the olive oil into a saucepan, add the onion, garlic, bay leaf and milk. Cook for 15 minutes.
11. After 15 minutes, use a sieve to filter out only the juices from the sauce, i.e. leaving the onion and bayleaves. Return the sauce to the pan, add the butter and breadcrumbs. Cook for a further 3 minutes;season with salt and pepper. Then pour into a jug or small bowl; serve with the chicken tray bake and Pigs In Blankets. Perfect home cooking.