GOOD FOR YOU BECAUSE ... parsnips, one of the vegetables in the mash, boosts your immunity.
12 pork sausages/quorn sausages
1/2 red onion diced (for the sausages)
2 tablespoons dried rosemary granules(for the sausages)
2 tablespoons garlic granules (for the sausages)
1 parsnip peeled, washed and sliced (for the mash)
1 potato peeled washed and sliced (for the mash)
1 sweet potato, washed and sliced (for the mash)
2 tablespoons salt (for the mash)
4 tablespoons butter (for the gravy)
1/2 red onion chopped (for the gravy)
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (for the gravy)
2 tablespoons flour (for the gravy)
600 ml stock (either chicken or vegetable - for the gravy)
3 tablespoons red wine (for the gravy)
1 x 270g can peas
1 teaspoon sugar (for the peas)
1 tablespoon butter (for the mashed potato)
2 tablespoons single cream (for the mashed potato)
6 spring onions washed and sliced (for decoration)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C. Place the sausages on a baking tray, scatter over the red onion, dried rosemary and garlic granules. I use a foil disposable tray for this recipe.
2. Place in the oven for 40 minutes - make sure you turn the sausages once around half way through the cooking, i.e. 20 minutes.
3. Fill a medium-sized saucepan with water; place the potatoes and parsnip in the pan and bring to the boil. Once the water is boiling, salt them and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. For the gravy, place the butter into a small saucepan and cook on a low heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the red onion, sugar and balsamic vinegar. Sauté for a further 5 minutes. Then, stir in the stock and red wine.
5. Mix in the flour to thicken, season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for ten minutes.
6. Empty the tin of peas into a small saucepan of water; warm but do not boil. Add the sugar; warm for 2-3 minutes and then drain.
7. Remove the sausages from the oven at 30 minutes cooking time; add the peas and gravy. Cook for a further 10 minutes.
8. Drain the potatoes and parsnip pan and place back on the hob for 30 seconds. Then, remove, stir in the butter and cream and mash to a creamy consistency.
9. Place the sausages, mash and gravy on each warmed plate. Finally, scatter over the spring onions for decoration.